Tennis pro Nick Kyrgios admitted to beating a former girlfriend on Friday, but the magistrate spared him from conviction for what she called a “single act of foolishness.”
The assault accusation against the 27-year-old Australian player was dropped by the Canberra court.
After a furious disagreement on January 10, 2021, the Wimbledon finalist admits to pushing her then-girlfriend Chiara Passari to the ground and assaulted her.
Ten months after they split up, Passari filed a police report, according to the attorneys’ testimony in court.
Passari said in a statement read in court that the experience had left her profoundly traumatized, causing her to lose a lot of weight and stay in bed day and night, unable to sleep or start new personal connections.
One count of common assault was challenged by Kyrgios’ attorneys on the grounds of mental illness, claiming it was an isolated incident and out of character.
According to Kyrgios’ repeated serious depression, which includes black periods, thoughts of self harm, insomnia, anxiety, and feelings of guilt, psychologist Sam Borenstein testified before the court.
According to Borenstein, the tennis player had previously turned to drugs and alcohol as a coping mechanism but was now improving in his approach to the problems.
His mental health has greatly improved as of right now, according to Borenstein.
After hearing that appeal, Magistrate Beth Campbell decided to drop the accusation.
In spite of Kyrgios’ awful behavior, according to Campbell, the incident was a “single act of foolishness” committed by a young man trying to get out of a sticky situation.
Passari, who was allegedly blocking Kyrgios from leaving her Canberra flat, was pushed, according to reports.
As for placing you on a good behavior bond, Campbell stated, “I do not register a conviction against your name.
After sustaining a “gruesome” injury that forced him to miss the Australian Open last month, Kyrgios limped onto the court in Canberra with crutches and a knee brace.
His mother Norlaila and his current partner Costeen Hatzi, an interior designer, stood behind him.
Kyrgios, who has previously engaged in conflict with the media, avoided addressing them as he entered the premises.
Kyrgios, a Canberra native noted for his erratic play and on-court antics, has already opened up in public about his struggles with depression and the demands of his international tennis celebrity.
He posted on Instagram last year, “I’m glad to report I’ve completely turned myself around and have a whole different attitude on things, I don’t take one minute for granted.”
As Kyrgios prepared to compete in the Japan Open, the case was postponed in October so experts could create mental health studies for the court.
At the time, Kyrgios said from Tokyo, “There’s only so much I can control and I’m taking all the steps and dealing with that off the court.
Kyrgios, who is currently ranked 20th in the world, was heavily featured in the first episode of Netflix’s new tennis documentary Break Point.
The fan favourite won the Australian Open men’s doubles crown with close friend Thanasi Kokkinakis last year but was ruled out of this year’s tournament before playing a match.
Daniel Horsfall, his manager, revealed that he had just recovered from surgery to remove a cyst from inside his knee.
“The surgery went great, to be honest, we couldn’t have asked for a better result,” he told radio station SEN. “He might be recovering faster than what we were expecting, so it’s good news.”
Kyrgios burst to fame as a 19-year-old in 2014, when he shocked the tennis world by beating Rafael Nadal to reach the quarter-finals of Wimbledon.
Often criticised for squandering his talents, Kyrgios reached the final of last year’s Wimbledon, but was comprehensively beaten by Novak