On Thursday, a portion of the National Assembly was on fire
There was a fire outbreak in a section of the National Assembly in Nigeria.
The fire was started by an electrical failure, according to a statement signed by Agada Rawlings Emmanuel, a spokesperson for the parliament building.
“There was a fire incident this evening in one of the Janitors, located on the 2nd floor, Room 227 in the new-wing, of the House of Representatives, suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault which was noticed by one of the Staff to the Clerk, House of Representatives, who promptly alerted the Federal Fire Service Unit stationed in the National Assembly Complex,” the statement said.
“Accordingly, the fire have be put out with assistance of staff on duty who immediately broke into the affected office and effectively deployed Stationed fire extinguishers on the floor before the arrival of the fire service officer.
“Consequently, the combined prompt efforts, curtained the fire to the affected office only and power supply to the wing put off to enable a full assessment and investigations into the incident.
“It is expected that, after due assessment by the fire service and the Estate and works directorates, Normalcy in the New-Wings, housing all principal officer’s of the House of Representatives and Honourable members office’s, will be restored immediately.
“Management wish to commend the prompt response/ actions by the first responders particularly, National Assembly staff and the Fire Service Unit in helping to curtain the fire outbreak.”