Notwithstanding the social unrest roiling the nation, there are no plans to cancel King Charles III‘s state visit to France next week, the UK government announced Thursday.
We never enter the territory of giving His Majesty orders of that nature. They will decide that, the press secretary for Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said.
I’m not aware of any intentions to amend the plan, he continued.
Following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II in September last year, King Charles and his wife Camilla are scheduled to make their first state visits to another country while in France from Sunday through Wednesday. They will then go to Germany.
Before continuing on to Bordeaux in the southwest, King Charles will join President Emmanuel Macron for a ceremony of commemoration at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and a supper at the Palace of Versailles.
With the recent clashes between anti-Macron protestors and riot police, some French opposition MPs have questioned whether the trip should proceed. Charles could run into transport strikes and trash-filled streets.
A source at the British embassy in Paris told AFP that “we are keeping an eye on how things are developing politically and the security situation, it was said It will go on till the visit”.