Following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Netflix announced that it had halted filming of its British royal drama “The Crown.”
The acclaimed program is presently filming its sixth season after previously tracing the late monarch’s life across several decades.
Filming on “The Crown” was halted today “as a gesture of respect,” a Netflix representative told AFP.
Additionally, filming will stop on the day of Her Majesty The Queen’s funeral.
The first season of the multiple Emmy Award-winning show began with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip’s 1947 nuptials.
The royal family’s involvement in 1990s events, such as Princess Diana’s passing, is scheduled to be covered in the fifth season, which will debut in November and will feature Imelda Staunton in the Queen’s place.
Netflix has not yet revealed any information regarding season six, although it is anticipated to depict more contemporary events, such as what happened when Diana was killed in a terrible automobile accident and how it affected the royal family.
To honor the passing of the Commonwealth Monarch, theaters in the Canadian capital turned off their illuminated marquees on Thursday. Flags were lowered, and the CN Tower’s lights were also dimmed.
Daniel Radcliffe, a former “Harry Potter” actor, was one of the celebrities who spoke about the Queen’s passing at the event. He told reporters that her absence felt “weirdly unimaginable and strange right now.”
On the red carpet for his new film, “Weird: The Al Yankovic Story,” he added, “Nobody of my generation or their age has ever lived in a country without her.”
The international premiere of “The Lost King,” a movie about the discovery of King Richard III’s remains with a monarchy theme, will be introduced by Stephen Frears and Steve Coogan later on Friday in Toronto.