According to the Paris prosecutor, France opened a criminal inquiry on Friday into World Cup winner Paul Pogba’s allegations that he was the target of a multi-million dollar mob blackmail plot including his brother.
According to a statement from the prosecutor, Laure Beccuau, two investigating magistrates have been chosen to oversee the investigation.
She said, confirming a statement from a judicial source made over the weekend, “Based on findings of a preliminary investigation launched last month, it will examine allegations — for the time being against persons unknown — including blackmail by an armed gang, kidnapping, and membership in a criminal conspiracy.”
Pogba’s accusations followed the release of a strange film by his brother Mathias that promised “big disclosures” about the Juventus star and was posted online in four languages (French, Italian, English, and Spanish).
Large sums of money are being requested from Paul Pogba if he wants to stop the distribution of supposedly incriminating films, according to two family-friendly individuals who spoke with AFP.
According to France Info, Paul Pogba informed detectives he had received threats from “two hooded guys carrying assault guns and two childhood buddies.”
It stated that they are seeking 13 million euros ($13 million) from him in exchange for “services supplied.”
Pogba confessed to investigators that his blackmailers intended to damage his reputation by making the false claim that he ordered a marabout (holy man) to cast a spell on Kylian Mbappe of Paris Saint-Germain and France, which Pogba denies.
The anti-gang and central crime units of the French police work together on the inquiry.
Police have previously questioned a number of persons, including Pogba’s mother, a judiciary source told AFP.